Which SVOD platforms can Vista India deliver content to?
Currently, we are working with Netflix only. We are an official content aggregator for Netflix.
Can we pitch concepts/ideas/screenplay of films, documentaries or episodic content?
Vista India helps rights owners/producers to license their finished content to multiple digital platforms. For pitching your ideas/concepts, you will have to reach out to the digital platforms on your own.
What are the different types of SVOD rights for Netflix?
- Exclusive: The content would be available only on Netflix for the agreed license period. The rights owner/ producer cannot publish the same content on any other platform.
- Non-exclusive: Other than Netflix, the content can be made available on other platforms. The producer/ rights owner can go for non-exclusive deals with other platforms.
- Exclusive with broadcasters app carve out: Nowadays, most of the broadcasters go for a combo deal (satellite & digital) while licensing a film. It includes satellite rights for their tv channels and digital rights for their OTT platform. In this case, the producer/ rights owner can go for the option of broadcasters app carve out.
What is the process to pitch my film to Netflix?
The whole process takes around 3 to 4 weeks. Netflix is a curated service i.e we will present your film, however they make independent buying decisions.
What is the share between me and Vista India?
It is 80:20 of the gross revenue minus deductibles. 80% to the content/rights owner and 20% to Vista India.
What is the content delivery cost for Netflix?
Vista India is an Netflix Preferred Fulfillment Partner (NPFP). We handle the entire packaging and delivery of the content/rights to Netflix. The delivery cost per title is $815.
What is the payment structure of Netflix?
Netflix remits licensing fees on a quarterly basis, over the entire license period. Below is an example for a better understanding of the Netflix payment structure.
- If the start date of the licensing of your film is 1-Jan-2018
- Licensing fee: $120,000 (minus delivery cost)
- Term: 3 years (36 months)
- The payment would be made in 12 quarters (1 year = 4 quarters- 3 years = 12 quarters)
- Amount paid every quarter: $10,000 (Divide $1,20,000 into 12 equal instalments)
- Payment cycle: Feb 2018, May 2018, Aug 2018, Oct 2018, -,Oct 2020
Starting from Feb 2018, Netflix will pay $10,000 every quarter to Vista India. Vista India will deduct it’s 20% share i.e $2000 and wire the remaining 80% i.e $8000 to the content/rights owner. This process will be repeated every quarter till Oct 2020. Every quarter the content/ rights owner will receive $8000 in his/her bank account through online transfer from Vista India.
How do I get my payment?
The licensing fee is routed through Vista India’s US Bank Account to the content/rights owner’s bank account mentioned in the agreement. The licensing fee is remitted in US Dollars without any withholding taxes.
How long until my movie is online?
After delivering the assets to Vista India, it goes under QC checks at our end before delivering to Netflix. This process can take around 30 to 45 days depending on the condition of the assets and other factors. After this, Netflix takes around 30 days to make the content live on their platform. So, in total the whole process requires around 60 to 75 days.
For how many territories can I distribute my content?
Netflix is currently available worldwide in 190 countries (except China, Syria and North Korea)
After licensing my film to Netflix, can I publish it on other platforms?
The producer/ rights owner cannot publish the film on any of the AVOD & FVOD platforms like YouTube, Vimeo, etc. But they are free to put out their film on TVOD platforms like Apple iTunes, Google Play, etc.
What kind of assets are needed for Netflix?
You can go through the detailed Netflix asset guide here
What are the Netflix artwork specifications?
Vista India is a Netflix Preferred Creative Agency. Over the years, we have successfully delivered the artwork for many titles. For your reference, you can find the detailed artwork specifications for Netflix here
Do I have to sign a contract with Vista India?
Yes. We shall forward you our standard Netflix agreement. We will require you to confirm the contents of the Agreement before we pitch your content to Netflix. Furthermore, kindly note that once we receive your confirmation on the draft, no changes shall be made or accepted at a later stage. The only additions made to the draft will be to incorporate the offer details, as and when we receive the same.
Also, request you to note that we will not be able to send you the counter signed copy of the Agreement right away. The procedure we follow is that once the content partner signs the Agreement, we have the materials called from them and have them checked and approved. Once approved, we deliver the same to Netflix. Upon receiving the approval of the Platform, we counter sign the Agreement and send the content partner's copy across.
Stamp duty and other contract related charges are borne by Vista India.
Download Netflix Draft Agreement
How do I get started?
To start with you can share the submission guidelines (mentioned below) of your film at - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password protected Vimeo screener (subtitled version in case of Hindi or regional content)
- Festivals & Awards
- Box office numbers (for released films)
- Critics and Audience review
- Territories available
- Language rights available (Subtitles and Dubbing)
- SVOD Rights (Exclusive / Non-Exclusive / Broadcaster's app carve out / etc.)
- Authorization letter (on official letterhead) from the content/rights holder (download the template from here)
Our content team will get back to you to take it to the next step.
Does the content require a CBFC certificate to be pitched?
Yes, we'll require the CBFC certificate before we pitch the film to our partner platforms. In case you have applied for the same, you can send us a copy of the application, and that would suffice for us to proceed with the pitching.
What is the guarantee that my content will be licensed by Netflix?
The final decision for selecting any content for licensing lies with the Netflix content team.
Do I have to pay for pitching my content to Netflix or any other platforms?
No, you don't have to pay for pitching your content to the platforms. It is free of cost service.
Can I license multiple or a catalogue of films?
I am concerned that my film might get leaked online. Is sharing the screener necessary?
Yes. It is mandatory and is needed by the content team at Netflix for reviewing. Vista India takes all the necessary precautions to keep your film safe and secure.
Can I re-pitch my film to Netflix?
Please do let us know if your content has been pitched to Netflix before. Re-pitching is only done in special cases, so it is imperative for us to know if Netflix has already provided any feedback on your title.